Subject: Was Students don't- LW's ma
From: "Dimitri Holman" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 15:56:40 -0800

3/20/96            3:38 PM

>> Mark, I think your views may be a little myopic...<HACK> 
> You may be a big fish on campus, but in the real world...<SLASH>

/* rantfest */

The economics of this is clear. In the Studio it seem's that yes the green ,
snot nosed grad's may not have much say in driving software purchases. But in
the engineering world those same snot nosed grads are the ones bringing in ALL
the innovation. CGI is being used in engineering more and more.(Hollywood
isn't everything you know) I've been one of those snot nosed grad's and we buy
Millions of dollars in hardware (SGI/SUN/MAC) and software. In some cases, the
software is going for $50,000 per seat and yes I have a say in purchases.
Grad's in the REAL world don't stay students OR green for very long. Case, No
particular order.: AutoCad is pervasive in the mid-range CAD/CAM market
BECAUSE of; Student versions; Engineering / Drafting students use it in class;
Lot's of bang for the buck (@  $3,000).  Does it compare with CATIA,
Pro-#005#E or SDRC Ideas? No. Does AutoCad enjoy the greatest share of CAD
seats? Yes. Let's face it. LW is in this mid-range market and getting more
market share any way possible can only be a good thing ($$$$). Don't even
bother with the "Well if everyone has it there'll be nothing but garbage demo
reel's with LW written all over them" bullshit. The "great but elite" with a
small user base shit just doesn't fly. Remember the Commodore Amiga?? Great
hardware, small, pompous user base.. DEAD... 

/* end of rantfest */ pompous, chest beating .sig to follow.

Dimitri Holman
Visualization Engineer ( Mechanical)
Science Applications International Corp.
(the above views are mine, and can in no way be attributed to my employer)